ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
skimhitz
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Camera for taking everywhere
Dec 5, 2012

Hey everyone,

Been lurking for a while now. I'm wanting to move up from a P&S to an enthusiast level camera. I've used my dad's D7000 off and on, so I'm familiar with some of the basics of manual control. The main things I'm looking for are as follows:

• Great low light performance
  • Ability to produce shallow depth of field 
  • As small and light as possible
  • Understated/classy looks
  • Preferably up to $1000 all said and done, but the absolute highest after body and potentially lenses would be $1500

I mainly want to take this camera everywhere I go with me, especially to social events. I don't mind if it doesn't necessarily fit in my pocket, but if I'm going to a dressier event I'd rather not be hauling around a giant DSLR and pointing it at people. That's why I'd prefer something smaller, or at the very least, something that wouldn't look horribly out of place while being dressed up.

Most of my shots will likely be low light, so I've been leaning towards something with an APS-C sized sensor to get as much of an advantage as I can. The Sony NEX line seems nice, but for some reason I've never been too impressed by sample shots I've seen. I've also considered the Fuji X100, though there seems to be mixed reviews on some of its "quirkiness". Others I've looked at are the Panasonic GF1, Sony RX100, and a bit in the Olympus M4/3 line but I can't make heads or tails of their product naming.

Any suggestions or recommendations for a camera? Any help is much appreciated.

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow