Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?
Re: Please Help Me Make a First Print
In reply to BobSC, Dec 5, 2012

BobSC wrote:

Larry Silverberg wrote:

DO I have all this wrong to begin with.

Yeah, pretty much.

You can print any image at any size. It just depends on what /you/ feel is acceptable resolution. There is one standard that says you need 300 pixels per inch, in full color depth, because that is the liimit of human vision for a young person with good eyes. So if you have good eyesight and you walk right up to the print and you know what you're looking for, you can't see any digital artifacts.

Whatever.

I've got big prints I made at more like 70 pixels per inch. From across the room no one can tell that they aren't 30,000 pixels per inch. If you walk right up to them and you know what you're looking for then it jumps right out.

In photoshop, if you UN check the resample box, then you can type any number into any one box, hit tab, and it will calculate the other two. So if you type 17 into the long dimension it will calculate ppi and the short dimension. Go ahead and do that (at least in your mind.) Now that it's set to 17x11 (or 17 by some other number), check the box, and type in your ppi. It will resample the image to the resolution you just typed in.

Whether that's good or bad depends on whether the printer is better, or worse, than Photoshop at interpolation, and whether you're going to do something after you resample. You can get prints that appear sharper by resampling to your printers actual resolution and then using high pass filtering to sharpen. It's a neat trick. Google high pass photoshop sharpen.
The other thing you need to know is that no printer manufacturer will give you the hardware resolution of your printer. If you make a target in PS like the one I link below, with lines that are 1, 2, and 4 pixels wide, then you can quickly test a number of potential resolutions. Print the target at 100%. I have found that my printer prints B&W lines at 600 ppi, and color at 300. Epson is a different number. 7xx or something. Google printer hardware resolution. There is never any benefit to printing at higher than the printer's hardware resolution, and no printer is much past 700, despite marketing claims that lead you to belive otherwise:

Thanks Bob, that really is helpful!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow