Any tips for shooting an event?

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
gammada
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Re: Any tips for shooting an event?
In reply to SFzip, Dec 5, 2012

SFzip wrote:

You mentioned some DIY thingies and black cloth, and the first thing that comes to mind is the Neil Van Niekerk black foamie thing. If that's it, then you probably know way more about bouncing light than most.

Yeah, read his book "On camera flash techniques" a while ago. My current technique is probably light years away from him, but am sure a couple of tips have stuck.

You may have already thought about this, but stay away from using any bounce cards or diffusers because of all the glass around the room. In fact, make sure the flash is properly flagged to avoid any light spills that could reflect off the glass and fool the TTL metering.

I did my very own bounced card with a black protective coat that can also be used to flag the flash and to prevent light spill. Don't know how well it will work, but I'll keep an eye on those glass walls.

If your wireless triggers are TTL capable like the PocketWizard TT1/TT5, I'd put the remote flash w/external battery pack on a Cheetahstand auto-legs light stand with an Eclipse light shield wrapped around the flash head. This setup is super agile and carefree to operate. Relocating this rig is remarkably quick and easy, since you don't need to fiddle with the flash power setting (TTL), or readjust the legs on the light stand (auto open/close), or reflag the flash (multifaceted flagging).

Nope, mine are of the cheapo but reliable variety. I will use only one flash, the other will be my backup.

At an event shoot, I'd go with the wide zoom lens for the needed flexibility. Dial in at least f4 and keep it there to nail the depth of field, especially for group shots. You never know when a group will form and how quickly two people become five!

Spot on!

Your D7000 shouldn't have any problems at high ISO settings. I'd even venture to say ISO 6400 together with bounced light from your flash will produce great images, so don't be afraid to crank it up if you need to.

It handles high ISO settings pretty well, but I've never gone past 3200. I will do some test above that speed thou. I'll keep all of you posted.

Lastly, pay attention to recessed, tray ceilings where bounced light could be blocked or return in an unexpected way.

Good luck!

Thanks for pointing this out. I will look for them!

Appreciate all of your feedback!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow