Any tips for shooting an event?

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
gammada
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Re: Any tips for shooting an event?
In reply to Spooner, Dec 5, 2012

Spooner wrote:

Your 50mm is your best bet from what you have - I like my 17-55 f/2.8. If you can borrow one I recommend trying it.

Yeah, the 50mm might sound like a great option, but keep in mind that on a cropped-sensor camera like mine, it evolves into a 75mm short-tele. Considering that space is tight, I might be better off using the 18-105mm most of the time. Still, I plan to make a series of shots with the 50 on a dedicated booth.

Since you have two strobes and RF, I'd put one on a stand and bounce it up for ambient fill, but definitely keep one on-camera with or without a bounce card. Your RF remote strobe won't do a lot, but it will be better than having it sit in your bag.

I decided to use only one flash since I will have to make do sans assistance. The other flash will be there as a spare and in case of overheating issues. But worry not, I made myself a bounce card that is sure to give me great soft light over people's faces.

Again, shoot RAW, keep your ISO high and SS low (enough) and iris open to get the ambient lighting. I tend to not gel my strobes for CC - I like the orange colour cast that incandescents gve. If you're dealing with fluorescents, gel them out and WB for FL. If lighting is mixed pick the most annoying one and gel for it.

I will take my gels. Slow SS is also on the menu. Nice advice!

If you get a wide enough lens, but not too wide to distort too much, it can be fun to drag the shutter to blur the BG and keep the subject sharp with the short duration of the strobe.

I've been using my 18-105 to do architectural work, it has a lot of geometry distortion but after having it run thru DxO Optics Pro, I get pretty decent images. Do you think this will work too on humans?

Talk to whomever hired you and find out who it is improtant for you to shoot. Ask your subjects for a 'posed' shot every now and then. People tend to cluster in circles, which is hard to get a decent shot of. Two people together can be good, though. Get up high if you can every now and then - chairs, walkways, whatever.

I will try to get up high. Never thought of this before. I've already briefed both clients over the specifics for the shooting, but I will brief them again over those VIP's that need to be in the photos. Sound advice!

Above all, get there early and test your settings and set-up using serving staff or other functionaries who may be around as test subjects. If the tests look good offer to send the shot to them. It never hurts to have friends in these places.

John

I will get there an hour earlier. Your advice is very appreciated!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow