This place has lost interest for photography. It's just about (really poor) gear talk.

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Deegee
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?
Re: This place has lost interest for photography. It's just about (really poor) gear talk.
In reply to Deegee, Dec 4, 2012

This is just what I mean.  Two responses to my posts.  Both negative.  Who are these guys, can they even show a snapshot?  Let's see some of their work.  One attests that this is a gear forum yet does not even list the gear he owns (if he did I would not view it with credibility). Neither does the other.

My full equipment list is at http://www.duncangroveblog.com/equipment-list/ .  It is very comprehensive and I am sorry that it might cause envy for some.  I am a passionate photographer and  can assure you that my gear was not easily acquired.  Sadly, it does not guarantee my ranking in the world's top photographers list.  I am though for what it is worth a Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society.

I do not want to participate in a forum populated by people like these latest respondents.  I have in the past enjoyed many happy exchanges with proper photographers on this forum and a search of my posts will show you where I am coming from.  I shall probably end up leaving this forum but am going out fighting!  Will my friends please support my cause to moderate the rubbish on here that is currently being posted and try return it to a collaborative forum of peers?

In support of my argument, please review recent posts and ask yourself how much is of interest to the aspiring, committed or professional photographer?  I contend very little.  We have been over-run by idiots who have no desire to learn, contribute or even support fellow photographers, pros or newbies.

This is not a naive aspiration - this site used to provide just that.  It has gone downhill of late.  I am inclined to leave and I note that many of my previous correspondents have already.

Before I give up completely, does anyone sensible out there support my cause?  The frustrating thing is that having started out using this forum for learning, I still can learn much from it but am now far better placed to give some learning back (see my web site to qualify this statement).  I am not in the world-league by any means but I have a modicum of knowledge that I can share with people who are in the learning phase I was in a few years back. In my view this is what a forum such as this should all be about.

For those who contend that this is just a “gear forum”, I throw down the gauntlet that I am as familiar as anyone about what all those buttons on my camera do (but I do wish the D4 and D800 were the same in this respect)!  I confess though that I am still trying to work out in which order I should press these buttons, but guess this is the mystique of photography!

Photography friends on this forum - I salute you and ask your support to maintain this forum as what it should be.  Others, please go and play elsewhere, preferably on a busy motorway.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Deegee FRPS
www.duncangrove.com
www.duncangroveblog.com
Q:- What's the difference between artists and photographers?
A:- Two artists can have a conversation without discussing their paintbrushes!

Deegee's gear list:Deegee's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow