Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Pixelhater
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
Re: What are microns?
In reply to Paul D Noble, Dec 4, 2012

Paul D Noble wrote:

Pixelhater wrote:

I wonder why older DSLRs have bigger microns than newer DSLRs. Bigger microns means better smooth right? So why on earth do they do the microns smaller?

A micron is a unit of measure, equal to 1/1,000,000 meter. You can't make it bigger or smaller. That's like asking to make an inch smaller.

I suspect that you may be thinking of the individual photosites on digital sensors. These are usually measured in microns. As the number of megapixels on sensors increase, the individual sites must get smaller. Its simple arithmetic.

It would be chaos if every new sensor that came out had more pixels but the same size photo sites. That would mean that the sensors would all be different sizes, which would make camera design very, very difficult. The sensors must be kept to a standard size. Currently there are three sizes used in cameras (other than point and shoot cameras); four thirds, aps-c and full frame.

That is one of the arguments for full frame sensors. Since the photosites can be bigger, they are less susceptible to electronic noise. However, the technology used in sensors is always inproving, so today's aps-c sensor may be as good or better than yesterday's full frame sensor. Also, the software used to eliminate noise is getting better all the time.

Ok, thanks for clearing that out. But I prefer cameras that have fewer pixels and bigger microns because it just looks better.

Exemple: Canon original 5D has 8.2 microns and the new 5D MK3 has 6.2 microns, because of more pixels I suspect?

But the MK3 has not the same smooth rendering as the original 5D.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow