Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
photo chris
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Video test: A99 #2 vs EM5
Dec 4, 2012

This is sure to start another troll-fest, but here are the first couple of shots, no sharpening, color correction or anything at all, these are SOOC.

The A99 was shot with a standard profile, the $2000 Zeiss 24-70 and the highest bitrate 1080p/24 settings, steadyshot off, manual focus confirmed by focus magnify in stills mode and so on.

The EM5 used the $100 14-42 kit lens, 1080p/30, stabilization off, focus confirmed by focus magnify, blah, blah, blah...

Both cameras were set to standard picture mode and everything was set to 0, same apertures, same shutter speed and same ISO inside, outside the A99 was at 100, the EM5 at 200 since that's its base ISO - hence the slight difference in exposure.

Sorry its just two quick shots, but I jsut moved into a rental during my home renovation and I'm writing a couple campaign plans for new clients so I'm just going to grab a few quick shots over the next few days and keep adding them to this thread. Right now its not looking good for the A99. I may not even waste my time/money with an external recorder as its not likely to be any better from a detail standpoint since its still 8-bit.

Both sequences the A99 shot is on top, EM5 is on bottom. Shots are frames exported directly from Premiere and not processed in any way. Its easy to see I forgot to check white balance as I was in a hurry. The colors are a little off, but that has no impact on resolution what-so-ever.

Quick outside shot analysis: The moire and aliasing on the A99 shot is the worst I've ever seen - far worse than the 5d2, and its still softer than the EM5. FOV is a little different as the A99 was at 24mm and the EM5 was at 14mm (FOV=28mm), again I was in a hurry and forgot to zoom the Zeiss a bit to match FOV's better.

Quick inside shot analysis: EM5 with a cheap plastic throw away lens still shows more detail. Period.

I still have more to test before sending it back to Sony because I really want to make the A99 work, but right now its not looking good. Tomorrow I'm going to try and compare the A99/Zeiss to the EM5 with the $350 45/1.8, which optically is far superior to the kit lens.

Sorry to burst the fanboi bubble.  I'll post crops shortly.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow