Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ELLIOT P STERN
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?
Photoninja explains about support for X series sensors
Dec 4, 2012

I thought I would share an email I got from the folks who make Photoninja processing software.  The have some support for the Fuji X pro 1.  Two things struck me about the company.  One they responded to me and two they gave a reasonable explanation as to why they do not have full support for the X-E1 and X10.  Other software companies have failed to address their issues.  They have not responded at all.

I asked their permission to post their response.  It is below in bold.

As for the software, I have only started playing with it and while I know we are all concerned about 16 bit raw files, I found the software to do an incredible job on the Fuji Jpegs.

http://www.picturecode.com/index.php

"Hi Elliot,
Support for the X-Trans CMOS sensor (in the X-Pro1, X-E1) and/or the EXR sensor (X10) is not out of the question, but there is other work we need to do first that will benefit a wider audience (e.g. Photoshop plug-in support, batch processing, and some other things).    Once we get a bit further along, we'll assess whether to add support for the X-Trans/EXR sensors.
The problem with these Fuji sensor raw files are that they need completely new demosaicing algorithms, and they will also require modifications to the highlight recovery and chromatic aberration algorithms.   These are not trivial things to do well; it will require quite a bit of work.  Since we have limited resources, we have to consider it against other priorities.
Another thing that concerns us is that Fuji has attempted alternative sensor designs in the past (e.g. SuperCCD) that required special processing, and then they abandoned the technology after a while.    So, we'd like to make sure they are committed to the X-Trans CMOS sensor (X-Pro1, E-E1) design as well as the EXR CMOS sensor design (X10).
Having said all of this about Fuji raw, I have heard from customers that Photo Ninja can take the out-of-camera jpeg shots and quickly process them providing an excellent final result. One customer summed it up this way:
"Sure I was unhappy knowing that you are not supporting the Fuji X RAW format. Nevertheless I tried your program on the OOC jpg files, and with a few clicks I got that WOW feeling even for quite boring scenes this time of the year.
I never had such a quick combination to satisfaction in image taking."

-- hide signature --

El

ELLIOT P STERN's gear list:ELLIOT P STERN's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow