Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cheepnis
Regular MemberPosts: 149
Like?
Budget manual flash for NEX-6
Dec 4, 2012

The funny little manual flashgun I ordered from Dealextreme arrived today. It's a blatant knockoff of Metz 20 C-2 called "Changyin CY-20" and the lowly price of USD 14.60 manifests itself in flimsy battery lid and almost total lack of controls. But it's small and lightweight and being, eh, "modeled" after C-2 means that the flash head can be bounced.

While the flash has no controls apart from a test button and on/off switch (meaning it always fires at 1/1 power and you must control it by distance, aperture, shutter speed and ISO) it's bright enough to light a small room when bounced. I bought this thing solely because I wanted a pocketable, bouncable flash and I have to say it does the job.

It doesn't seem to work with my radio triggers which is definitely a downside. Haven't checked with my DSLRs if the sync port works. But all in all, I think it will suffice for my mirrorless flash needs for the time being, while waiting to see what (if anything) Sony or Metz have to offer for NEX-6.

This LightningRumours blog entry about CY-20 actually got me curious enough to order one; based on a couple of hours experience, I'd say the review is pretty much spot on.

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow