"Weighing" 16-50 versus 35/50/85 primes

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
terrytoweling
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?
Re: "Weighing" 16-50 versus 35/50/85 primes
In reply to success100, Dec 4, 2012

16-50 brilliant lens, great flexibility, great quality, great IQ, sometimes you want a bit more distance for some reason you tend to use your feet less than with the primes. Silent for video.

35mm lives on my A77, fast, great IQ, great for low light (Photo & Video).

50mm (85mm effective portrait lens) less harsh for portraits, 35mm can be a bit vicious, it shows every blemish.

I have all three, and use them regularly, obviously 16-50mm has the better build quality and weather sealing, it is a bit of a weight to carry all day. 35 & 50mm build quality, is fine, never had a problem, just don’t play conkers with them. 50mm focusing ring is small but useable. The 35mm with its little lens hood always catches the eye of other photographs.

It depends on what you want to photograph, 35mm is my walk around lens, 16-50mm if I know I want wider shots of am going to be in a situation where zooming is required or its raining!. 50mm indoor portraits with variable lighting, you can tell the portraits taken with this lens somehow they just somehow look nicer.

It is very much personal preferences and styles, to be honest you cannot go wrong with the 16-50 or 35mm. The 50mm is a close runner up as it is slightly less flexible for varied indoor use.

terrytoweling's gear list:terrytoweling's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH20 Sony Alpha DSLR-A390 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow