eNo
Forum ProPosts: 11,732
Like?
AF fine-tune still comes in handy
In reply to wireless, Dec 4, 2012

wireless wrote:

eNo wrote:

[...]

John - I believe you are referring to at least one of 2 articles that LensRentals released a while back. I have both links as references at the bottom of a post I wrote a while back:

Why we should all AF fine tune our lenses

[...]

I agree focus should be correct whatever the means. I had mine calibrated and the Nikkor 50mm 1.8g needed -10.

Someone recommended using a good Nikon authorized repair center as this problem would be fixed under warranty. I looked into and it was indeed the case. (I shipped off my camera and lenses today.) They said they would correct the camera and/or lenses AF without fine-tune.

That is good for all those camera-lens combinations they will calibrate. Now you get a new body (I have 3!) and/or a new lens... are you going to send them all back? I'd only recommend it if an "outlier" exists, i.e., a lens or camera that is obviously out of kilter when compared to the rest of my kit. For other cases, AF fine tune is a nice tool to have to address those differences in how a given lens interplays with a given body. It's also handy as time passes, because the original calibrated settings will drift with use and wear. Let's remember perfection is not attainable with gear, just acceptable tolerances.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow