Did Pentax brand was used by Pro photographers?

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Antal I Kozma
Contributing MemberPosts: 874Gear list
Like?
Re: Did Pentax brand was used by Pro photographers?
In reply to JimBim, Dec 4, 2012

JimBim wrote:

All media photographers are using Canon. Sometimes Nikon. Did Pentax brand was used by Pro (media) photographers (35mm cameras) in photography history? What Pentax has to do to prove Pro photographers to use it? Is it possible? Or at all it is not necessary - we don't care about Pro photographers?

Yes it was. From the Spotmatics to the LX. Then, stopping with pro calibre SLR development at the LX, Pentax lost its share to Nikon and Canon.

Back then the LX was just as much of a pro camera as the Nikon F3 or the Canon F1. Pentax lenses were considered to be of utmost quality. Those SMC Takumars in their time were "The Lens" to have.

So yes, Pentax has a large heritage in professional photography. As of today? A number of professionals do use Pentax DSLR equipment. Although percentage wise it is not in the league of Canons and Nikons used for pro work. I suppose if Pentax would return to the 24x36 mm format with a good design and suitable lenses then many former Pentax users would be interested in migrating back to their old camp.

Cheers to all,
AIK

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow