Just bought G3. Have some questions.

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Philly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,094
Like?
Re: Just bought G3. Have some questions.
In reply to tt321, Dec 4, 2012

tt321 wrote:

Philly wrote:

I currently have Oly E-PL1 and E-PM1, but wanted to get an EVF. I've never purchased Panasonic camera before, but couldn't resist the $299 deal at B&H. The camera is in transit and I should get it next week. While I'm waiting, I was wondering if anyone can offer comments on some basic questions I have.

Good move

1) How's the 14-42mm Panasonic lens? I had the Oly 14-42mm II R, but it didn't resolve quite as much as I'd like. Is the Panasonic version about the same optical quality as the Oly? (I actually found it surprising that the Oly lens had quite a few good reviews and comments; I just didn't like it that much. Maybe I had a bad copy?)

Or should I just sell it on ebay immediately, to maximize the resale value? I currently have the 14mm 2.5, 20mm 1.7, 45mm 1.8. Would the Panasonic lens be good for video?

It's more than decent optically. I use it for its flexibility. At the 25mm setting it's comparable to the 25mm prime from about F5.6 onwards at the centre of the frame. The OIS works, after a fashion, better than no OIS with the Olympus lens on Panasonic body. Video is good as the aperture adjustments are done in low-noise non-sudden mode with the latest firmware in video. Zooming during video is not a good idea as it's more sticky than video would like. There is no zoom creep as the lens is so light.

It might be a better idea to sell the Olympus kit zoom, but you should do a comparison first as test reports do not refer to the two actual lenses you have.

2) I'm thinking about getting a non-OEM battery off ebay. Any known problems with doing this? I've used non-OEM batteries on Oly and Canon cameras with no problems. Does Panasonic's proprietary battery implementation require more considerations, for spare batteries?

There may be problems with reporting how much juice is left, or allowing proper sleep mode operations. However, I have something that looks like this and it has no such problems and works the same as the original, except giving about 20 more shots.

Thanks for your reply.  On a quick search of ebay US, I didn't see the same battery that you cited, but I've taken notice of your comments.  FYI, for anyone who's interested, this is a non-OEM that I saw (but I don't have any feedback info on this particular battery or vendor):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120785403843

I've already sold my Oly 14-42mm IIR, but still have some photos from it, which I can use to compare with the Panasonic 14-42mm.  I like using the 20 to 25mm focal length quite a bit, so it's good to know your observation regarding the Panasonic lens performance at 25mm.  I really don't see many people talk about this lens.  I remember quite a few used to comment positively about the old Panasonic 14-45mm lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow