Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
abritton76
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
A99 video test
Dec 4, 2012

I was asked to start a new thread on this so I am as I think the other 2 are best forgotten anyway. I didn't set out to prove anyone right or wrong with this post - just to show what the a99 video looks like and let people make there own mind up. I admit I was concerned before making this video and having read the previous threads about what the quality would be like.

https://vimeo.com/54868459

Unfortunately the weather here is horrendous and blowing a gale but there was a break in the rain to get some quick footage in.

I wasn't trying to capture nice looking shallow DOF shots but rather just landscape footage with a wide DOF. I believe the footage looks very good and definitely pretty sharp. In post it sharpens up more if wanted. But i believe it looks easily on a par with stuff coming from the d800 or mkIII  which also needs sharpening in post. (not saying the a99 really needs sharpening though).

Overall I am very happy with the results and next time will post a video showing what it really can do with a bit more style:)

Aliasing is evident on things but that is known already.

Regarding noise not too bad either but I am coming from the a57 so that makes sense.

I have to say I am very surprised at the people who are not happy with the video performance.

https://vimeo.com/54868459

www.limelight-films.com

There is a small mistake towards the end. The wide shot is a minolta 20mm 2.8 not 50 1.4 as stated.

Bear in mind some quality is lost due to compression on vimeo too.

Thanks.

Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow