since1968
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
RX1: feedback on handling
Dec 4, 2012

Tiny camera!

Thoughts on handling the RX1 after a day in hand:

Cons:

• It's too small for my hands. Placement of the dedicated video button feels awkward and requires a funky bend of the thumb to reach. The RX1 is heavy enough that I feel I should use it two-handed, but where to put the hands?
  • I much prefer the focus ring to be behind the aperture ring, as with a Leica. The RXI focus ring is at the far front edge of the lens. It makes sense in this case though; my thumb naturally falls on the focus ring due to the camera's small size.
Pros:
My two cents. Would be happy to hear your thoughts if you've handled the camera.
  • Build quality meets expectations at this price point. The feeling is solid and dense. There are no wiggles or squeaks anywhere.
  • The buttons are stiff. Every button is incrementally harder to press or switch than expected. This is a great thing! Electronics have a way of loosening up after a few months and this camera just feels like it's built to last. The on/off switch is satisfying and requires enough force that it won't get bumped in a camera bag. Aperture ring clicks are perfect. All buttons and controls compare favorably to the OM-D, which has mushy buttons due to weather sealing.
  • The weight to size ratio feels just right (if you can figure out where to put your hands). This camera feels much more dense than the Fuji X-Pro1 which can have the feel of a solid but empty box.
  • Autofocus speed is not bad. Not as fast as the OM-D with a newer lens, but comparable to or faster than the OM-D + Panny 20mm.
  • Apparently manual focus is fly by wire but it feels mechanical even if it's not. Just incredibly well implemented.
  • Fit and finish are great. The battery door clicks shut without having to pull the latch back into place. I just can't say enough good things about the build quality.
-- hide signature --
 since1968's gear list:since1968's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +1 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow