NEX-F3 frustration--is this related to ISO 200?

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Questions thread
ShinyFace
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Re: Here's what I'm guessing you like...
In reply to zackiedawg, Dec 4, 2012

zackiedawg wrote:

OK - it seems the following properties are generally what you are looking for:

Contrasty, warm colors, very saturated, huge depth-of-field, possibly wide-angle perspectives.

Here is my advice on how you might try setting up your camera, to see if it helps achieve something closer to the look you are striving for:

Try center-weighted metering rather than multi or wide metering. Use Program Auto (P) rather than full auto. Set EV to 0, or possibly even -.3. Go into picture settings, and choose the Vivid mode, then adjust the sharpness to +1...you can probably leave saturation and contrast at 0...though try adjusting either if it still doesn't pop enough for you. Set your DRO/HDR option to DRO Auto. You can probably leave WB on Auto, but occasionally bring it up and try some of the presets if the scene doesn't look warm enough for your preference - that way, you can add some warmth if you feel it needs it.

You are used to a P&S-style JPG - one that's been tuned very warm, contrasty, heavily saturated, and extremely sharpened. There's nothing wrong with liking what you like, but most larger-sensored cameras tend towards much more subdued and 'true' color and contrast, leaving the ability for the photographer to 'tweak' as he likes. It takes a bit of an adjustment to go from a P&S to a DSLR/mirrorless style, because of this intrinsic difference in how the default processing tends to be.

Just to try to figure out what types of look you prefer, do any of these NEX photos have the warmth or saturation or depth of field or contrast style you prefer?

I threw in a few shots above that are 'cool' in overall temperature, but where the light had some warmth...others are a bit warmer overall. Hopefully this will help whittle down what it is you are looking for, so we can help you tune your settings.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

YES, you are understanding me this is what I like, all of them are lovely and I especially love the bird. The top shot is great bc it shows the icy mountain contrast in the back too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow