Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Allan Crowson
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
"Weighing" 16-50 versus 35/50/85 primes
Dec 4, 2012

I've tried searching for something along these lines in the forum already, but have found nothing so far. My apologies in advance if I missed it -- just point toward the proper link or search terms, please.

I'm currently shooting with the A57 and 18-135. I want to add something with wider aperture, especially for indoors (family gatherings, grandchildren, museum, church, etc.).

The 16-50 is well reviewed nearly everywhere, and in general Sony's "Easy Choice" primes seem to hold up well optically, although their build quality may not approach the 16-50.

With only the kit lens at the moment, it is difficult to test just how things would look different at 1.8 (the primes) versus 2.8 (the zoom).

I would love to hear from those with experience in this area and with these lenses.

There is a slight cost and weight difference, but they are very close. If I drop off the 85mm to make it more of an apples-apples comparison, the cost/weight difference increases, of course.

-- hide signature --

Allan Crowson

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow