NEX-F3 frustration--is this related to ISO 200?

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Questions thread
boardsy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,196Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-F3 frustration--is this related to ISO 200?
In reply to ShinyFace, Dec 4, 2012

ShinyFace wrote:

I showed you some quite sharp contrasty sunny day landscapes with different looks and aperture settings, and then a soft sunset to show a different lighting effect. I've no idea what you're looking for at this stage - maybe someone else can help.

Alan

Sorry I can't explain better. But the truth is, I don't like the pictures that have been posted any more than I like my own. Maybe I am a perfectionist, but I was hoping for better landscape imagery. I like what the Sony does for some things, just not that. There are other issues...I will try to articulate it better as my lexicon improves. Also, I am certainly making a list of the tips, and will try some when I go out next week. I will be going to some very scenic spots so will have lots of practice and can maybe provide more examples of the problems that I encounter.

I have looked at the Flickr page for F3 and at the Fred Miranda...haven't seen anyone coax anything good from the F3 for landscaping. Maybe it is just not what the camera does well and I need to accept that. People around here get so defensive when someone suggests that the camera isn't perfect. The shots I see made with the F7 are infinitely better. I wish I had known that bc it looks worth the extra $$ but it's too late for me to switch at the moment because I am on the road.

Also I don't use iAuto except when I need an "emergency" quick shot. Most are A, P, and M settings; I will sometimes take 10 shots of one thing with different settings. The landscape shots are invariably disappointing me no matter what I have been doing. If I pixel peep, even more so. The only ones I like aesthetically are the ones that are heavily processed in-camera using the effects I posed earlier or like this, and I don't want effects all the time.

Simply - use E/V at 0, 24mm, f8, centre focus one third of the way into the scene, keep the camera steady, use Vivid style, and you will get very clear, sharp, saturated, contrasty shots. But then again it seems you don't like clear, sharp, contrasty shots!

I'm not overly defensive of the camera, it's simply a high quality tool to get great images from - if you know how to use it. I'm an amateur myself, so it's not like I think I'm an amazing photographer, but I am competent (with occasional flashes of inspiration and/or luck, lol), and it happens that I don't agree with anything you've said so far about my, or any other, shots (e.g. I don't like that heavy artificial HDR look above!).

Have a beer on me:

Kit zoom, 24mm, f5.6.

Can you show us examples from any camera, anywhere on the web, that is your idea of perfection?

Alan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow