NEX-F3 frustration--is this related to ISO 200?

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Questions thread
RGBaker
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-F3 frustration--is this related to ISO 200?
In reply to ShinyFace, Dec 4, 2012

NEX-F3, ISO 200, f/4, 1/60, 1EV (kit 18-55)

The first photo is oversharpened, shot with a high crop camera at a 8mm and has tremendous depth of field.  Technically, I don't like the look of it as the edges all have an overprocessed look, point and shoot style -- but more importantly, you do like this photo, so I guess the look you are seeking.  In an NEX, that means shooting with smaller apertures to approach the DOF you get with your greater crop camera, and turning up your sharpness or if using raw, your 'clarity;>
The second photo is shot under different light, at or near the widest aperture for that lens, and you've got an entirely softer look going on.  A little motion blur too I suspect -- maybe a higher shutter speed would have benefited.  Personally, I'd soften the microcontrast a little if that were my picture, but if prefer that sharpened look you could dial up the clarity in post and see if that's what you seek.
It will always be difficult to find your solution until you are able to communicate your issues -- knowing what you 'like' helps, but thinking you like what you like because you are a 'perfectionist' sounds like a barrier to success.
Cheers,
GB

RGBaker's gear list:RGBaker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow