NEX-F3 frustration--is this related to ISO 200?

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Questions thread
jstile
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
Re: NEX-F3 frustration--is this related to ISO 200?
In reply to ShinyFace, Dec 4, 2012

@ShinyFace

As a relative newbie myself, I get the difficulty in trying to express what it is specifically that you don't like about the photos in question. My interpretation is that you are a fan of pictures with 'pop', that ever-elusive quality that basically describes bold colours and sharp contrast.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not an expert in any facet of photography. My guess would be though that P&S cameras' inbuilt JPEG engines probably deliver more 'pop' as this can both hide their technical deficiencies (vs. large sensor cameras) and provide more instantly appealing pictures.

I have to say that when I started with my 5N, I wasn't really blown away by the OOC JPEGs for landscape pictures either. Portraits and animal shots were great, but I couldn't get the same 'snap' from landscapes. The images just looked a bit dull to me.

However, shooting in RAW and using PP makes a massive difference. It's also considerably easier to get pleasing photos than it is to use JPEG. JPEGs are, to a lesser or greater extent, a one shot situation. If you don't get your inputs right there and then, well, there's not a lot you can do. RAW however really allows you to focus on composition, and you can worry about colours and all that jazz later on. I now get landscape photos that I really like.

I'm at work now, and there's not much on my gallery that I would call 'landscape', but the below is an example of colours and depth that I'm pleased with. Photography is subjective, so you may not like the image. The point though is that through learning about post processing I've arrived at a point where I'm getting a lot more our of my camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow