NEX-F3 frustration--is this related to ISO 200?

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Questions thread
wictred
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-F3 frustration--is this related to ISO 200?
In reply to ShinyFace, Dec 4, 2012

ShinyFace wrote:

I've ordered the Sigma 30mm, maybe I will get better results with it. I am considering the 19mm as well. Being a sharpness freak will avoid the 16mm, it's not a bad lens if you like a softer feel but the pix I see from it are not sharp or vivid and that is my preference.

I doubt it.

If you look closely you'll see that the NEX shots are not that bad. There is a lot of detail in there. flat, dull, but it's there. It's just a matter of how you process the images ... either upfront in-camera (jpeg settings) or afterwards (RAW processing).

A NEX or other CSC or a DSLR can capture enough detail (sharpness, dynamic range) to get decent images, but you'll have to tell the camera how to do it. A compact camera might already do the processing that makes the images look "good" (that's what compact cameras often are made for) but if you look at the details you'll often see blown highlights, artifacts, posterization, noise etc etc.

I never use the "auto" mode on my NEX, but I also had the impression that the auto jpeg result is rather dull, unless you really start finetuning it.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow