Olympus E-P2 vs E-PL5

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045Gear list
Like?
Re: The problem is that your post lacks "substance"
In reply to kermitG9, Dec 4, 2012

kermitG9 wrote:

I don't mean to be harsh, but using a vague term such as "not happy about build quality" is not going to help anybody here... and I'm not even sure how Olympus could have understood you..

Your post would have been infinitely more helpful if you had provided concrete details about your "real world" experience.. People have asked you ​why​ and you're still not giving the reasons.

My definition of "build quality" refers to issues along the lines of :

• wobble on lens mounts
  • cracks on the LCD bezel (oops.. why am I thinking about the E-M5 .. which ​does​ feel sturdy)
  • oxydation on contacts (oops.. again thinking about my E-M5/horizontal grip ..)

etc..

If it's just your subjective "look&feel" because the body is "plastic", then sorry..

- all the E-PLx cameras have been built that way

- that info is hardly a secret since publically available in previes and spec sheets

- doesn't have any consequence for most of us .. see below..

From my very own experience, as someone who's effectively taking part in long winter/high altitude mountaineering (aka. camera often sharing space with my crampons) and arctic expeditions using tents and pulkas:

Regardless whether your camera is built out of plastic or magnesium alloy:

The weakest parts are always LCD screen which crack easily .. when it's cold .. and lenses .. particularly sticking lens blades... (oh yes, my 12-60 is the worst candidate .. isn't it "HG" ?)

So I don't know what ​you​ are planning to do to be worried about "sturdiness" .. but again, if you have something specific in mind, then share it..

While there is undoubtedly an element of snobbery in some peoples preference for metal vs plastic bodies, there is also a valid reason. While modern engineering plastics are a lot more durable than many give them credit for, if the metal lens mount is affixed to a plastic shell there is potential for catastrophic damage. If with a large lens attached the camera is dropped or the lens recieves a hard sharp knock the lens mount can be partially ripped from the camera body. This will likely render the camera damaged beyond economic repair. With a metal body the camera body will be more likely to be either undamaged or at least be repairable. In either case the lens may well have sustained damage. (lens build quality varies too & its possible that a lens with a plastic mount will break first and save the camera some damage). Lets assume for this case that it is a substantial well built lens with a metal mount.

The simple answer of course is not to drop your camera or allow it to get knocked about too much. OTOH - sh*t happens.

I many other respects the plastic materials are more resilient that metal. The lighter construction means less force on impact if dropped and the more elastic nature of the material helps absorb some shock. It doesn't dent like metal either.

Plastic bodies are not so cold to hold in cooler weather either. All in all I don't mind a well made plastic body with tight shut lines. Just take a little more care of it. It will shrug off minor bumps and bangs as well if not not better than a metal bodied camera but don't put the lens mount under too much stress.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow