Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DavidinDenmark
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?
Setting up my new iMac
Dec 4, 2012

OK, my new iMac is due to be delivered today to replace my six-year-old 17 inch iMac - I ordered on the first available date, which was Nov. 30, so that's pretty quick. But I have a couple of questions.

For the time being, I'll use my existing backup drive for Time Machine. However, I like the look of the Time Capsule, especially since it can be located away from the iMac, just in case of damage or theft. But it also acts as a Wi-Fi base station, which for me is superfluous, since I have this already as part of my all-in-one broadband/TV/telephone contract. Is there any other wireless drive that is suitable? or, if I got the Time Capsule anyway, would there be any problems with having two Wi-Fi sources?

And the SDXC socket - can I simply plug in the SDHC card from my camera to download my latest shots?

I'll want to transfer all my files and software from my "old" iMac, so I'll need to connect the two computers - can I just use an Ethernet to Ethernet cable?

Any other advice? Anything I need to know or remember? Any possible hitches or holdups in the transfer from one computer to the other? Obviously there will be some items of favourite software that will not be compatible with the new OS (I'm still with 10.6.8, since I've not been able to update further). But that's life, and I'll keep the existing iMac running until I'm happy with the new one.

Don't want to sound too paranoid about this, but these days we seem to run our whole lives from computers, so I wouldn't like to lose anything. I do in any case keep a second backup hard drive, updated once a month, and hidden away. So maybe I really am getting paranoid about this.

Thanks for any advice or info you can give me, folks.

David

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow