NEX-F3 frustration--is this related to ISO 200?

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ShinyFace
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
NEX-F3 frustration--is this related to ISO 200?
Dec 4, 2012

I was getting good shots from my Panasonic FZ-series but wanted to upgrade. Being uneducated at the time of purchase, I opted for a NEX-F3. I had no overlap time with the cameras, so cannot compare shot for shot but here are a few examples best I could find for direct comparison. The first is taken with the Panasonic. It is at dusk. The ISO is at 100, it's f/4 and speed 1/160. Autofocus

The second is with the Sony, also at dusk with similar lighting. ISO is 200 (as low as the F3 can go), f/4 and speed 1/60. Also autofocus. You can see the difference, I think, in spite of the JPG.

Now I know these are two different scenes but it's the closest comparison I could get to show that I've been very frustrated in certain situations with the Sony because these kinds of situations are exactly what the Panasonic did brilliantly with no knowledge on my part except for basic composition. I get similar results for these types of shots that were easy on the Panasonic (which I was not a "power user" of)--that is, specifically shots that are taken at dusk; shots in muted light; shots of sunset sky, and/or general landscape shots too (regardless of light). The Sony falters in each of these situations, even if it is good in others. And I've played with different settings in the F3. When I compare the Sony shots to my old pictures, I see that the shots I preferred on the Panasonic were all taken at 100 ISO (which was its default for the situation). I also know that part of the problem might be that the Panasonic Leica lens was faster at f2.8 vs. the Sony kit. So perhaps both lens and the ISO 200 is the difference? Whatever it is, I'm not getting that vibrant luminescent feel and not a good IQ at dusk, outdoor low light, sunset, and twilight...where the old Panasonic performed same and often better than the Sony. I need the opposite to be true and I know the Sony must be capable--unless the F3's 200 ISO is the problem. I look forward to what the community has to say.

NEX-F3, ISO 200, f/4, 1/60, 1EV (kit 18-55)

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-F3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow