NEX6 focus appears to be horizontal...

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,501Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX6 focus appears to be horizontal...
In reply to Bart Hickman, Dec 4, 2012

Bart Hickman wrote:

I couldn't find anything in the manual warning about this even though I know it's fairly common. Wether using CDAF or PDAF, the NEX6 can't focus on something that is purely horizontal detail (such as smooth venetian blinds). Turn the camera 90 degrees (or even 20 degrees) and it focuses right away.

It's like the AF "sensors" are horizontal (they see vertical contrast.) I can see how the PDAF sensors might only be one orientation, but it's surprising the CDAF acts this way. Looks like this technology (both CDAF and PDAF in NEX) still has a lot of untapped potential.

Bart

-- hide signature --

This happens on a lot of cameras, and it has been this way since the nex-5. I have it, and sometimes I have to tilt the camera a bit to get focus to certain places, specially when the contrast is in lines (columns, windows, doors, etc) that will be perpendicular to the camera. I tilt it 10º, focus, and recompose.

This has been talked in the past and is one of the tips to focus. Tilting a bit and recomposing.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow