D300 with Nikkor 105mm F2.8 AFD Micro lense Question

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
n057
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,097Gear list
Like?
Re: D300 with Nikkor 105mm F2.8 AFD Micro lense Question
In reply to DCamFan, Dec 4, 2012

DCamFan wrote:

I bought a used Nikkor 105mm F2.8 AFD 1:2.8 Micro lense and I just got it today. I put the F stop at 32, locked it in, and put it on the D300. The autofcus works good, but when I try to set the aperature to 2.8 in the Aperature mode, it will only let me go down to f3. My other lenses let me set the aperature to the the smallest F stop and it can select the correct speed to take the picture. For instance, I can set my 50mm F1.4 to an F stop of 1.4 and it will take the picture. Is there something wrong with this lense or do I need to set up the camera differently?

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Macro lenses only have the rated maximum aperture at infinity. That happens because, since the throw of those lenses is so large that the effective aperture changes as you get closer to the subject.

Very annoying as I was hoping to get one of them (60mm) as a DX portrait lens, and found that at I cold not work at f/2 at a practical portrait distance.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow