Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SammyToronto
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
Very impressed by the LX7, but have a concern
Dec 4, 2012

I've been using m4/3 cameras (epm1/epl1) for the past year and I was planning to add the epm2 or the epl5 when prices come down. Then the LX7 had the black Friday sale and I couldn't resist picking one up. I figured there's a room for a camera that's kind of a jack of all trades alongside my m4/3 gear, which I mainly use with primes. I especially liked what I read about its wide, bright, sharp lens and excellent video quality.

I've just received the camera today, set maximum auto ISO to 400 and snapped about 100 pics in varying indoor light levels and at different apertures and focal lengths. In general, I found zoomed-in pics to be of great quality, achieving critical sharpness at any aperture even wide open. The camera's OIS/bright lens combination was very effective; I've only had a couple of blurry pics (and that was when I deliberately pushed OIS testing to the extreme) out of the 100 and I never needed to increase ISO to more than 400, which helped maintain the impressive level of sharpness in the (zoomed-in) pics I shot.

However, I found that wide-angle pics (i.e. at about 35mm and wider) had relatively mushy low contrast detail (e.g. hair) even when I used the flash and set the camera to ISO 80. Is this normal for this camera? I've seen wide-angle LX7 pics taken outdoors with lots of fine details (e.g. pics of trees/grass) and I'm wondering if my unit has a problem. I haven't taken pics with it outdoors yet to see what kind of results I get.

I'd appreciate any comments from LX7 owners about their own experiences in this regard. My unit could be defective and I'd like to return it while I can.

As an aside, the hot shoe on camera was a bit greasy, which is not a big deal but I'm wondering if anyone else found greasy bits on their cameras!

Thanks.

-

SammyToronto's gear list:SammyToronto's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PL5
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow