FIRST LENS: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM or Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Questions thread
chumphries
Regular MemberPosts: 106
Like?
Re: FIRST LENS: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM or Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
In reply to BobSC, Dec 4, 2012

BobSC wrote:

if you have no other lens than a 50 would be pretty limiting. There might be some ways it would make sense to have just that lens, but they're not really coming to mind.

I have both the 17-55 2.8 and the Canon f/1.4. The 17-55 is my "social lens". It's great for holidays, family meals, walking around town, etc but my 50mm is my favorite because of the pretty bokeh you get at low apertures. It's a tough call, so it depends on what you will shoot most. If your answer is "everything" go with the 17-55. If the answer is piortriaraits or group shots of less that 3 people, I say the 50.

I've had no trouble with dust and the 17-55 has good resale value. If you don't have the budget now for full frame, you probably won't anytime soon and the 17-55 is a great lens. Dust is a non factor on most lenses so even if you end up getting a little in there, you'll never notice on your pictures. Think of it as having a clean lawn mower or dirty one, the both do good same good job.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow