From engaged enthusiasts to plain gullible.

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
jayrandomer
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: Why do people get upset with critcism?
In reply to scarbo, Dec 4, 2012

scarbo wrote:

Why do people get so upset if someone criticises Canon or any company for that matter? You're not a troll simply because you criticize Canon.

Yes, Canon are not a charity, but there's nothing wrong with blowing off a little steam and expressing irritation at the quality and/or pricing of some of their products. The fact is that Canon does ride on its name a lot of the time and charge above what their products might be worth in terms of quality and performance. I mean, you see it in the little things they sell such as lens caps, tripod collars, cable releases etc. They're not going to stop that practice when selling the more expensive items. The people who run Canon know the name sells and they exploit it as far as they can, as most companies in the business of making money would. The fact that it's standard practice does not mean we shouldn't call them on it.

I think it's good that people voice criticism if they dislike a company's practices, otherwise company's would feel they had carte blanche to exploit their position even more if they felt everyone was as happy as pie. There would be less motivation for them to up their game and improve. We've already seen plenty of firmware updates and price reductions as a result of consumer response and we wouldn't want that to stop.

I'm not upset that he's criticizing Canon.  They very well may be overcharging for the new lens; it's also possible they designed themselves into a corner by producing too costly a lens.  My problem is saying that charging something he doesn't want to pay is greedy.  Expensive, sure; overpriced, probably; not worth buying, not for me, at least.  Greedy, though?

I feel like greedy has become simply charging more than you want to pay and stingy is wanting to pay less than you charge.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow