Please help me decide... Nikon D40 or Olympus PEN E-PM1

Started Dec 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ishu
Forum MemberPosts: 96
Like?
Re: Please help me decide... Nikon D40 or Olympus PEN E-PM1
In reply to peepsmama, Dec 4, 2012

peepsmama wrote:

I have had a Nikon D40 for about 4 years. [snip] I did get awful tired of dragging the weight of the D40 last time, but the quality of the photos made it worth the effort, IMO. Size-wise, the Olympus is a dramatic improvement. Feels so much better carrying it around. [snip]
I'm going to be sacrificing a lot by losing my lenses, since the Olympus only comes with a 14-42mm lens and I won't be able to get another one for a while.

If weight is more of an issue than size, have you replaced the carrying strap?  I have a D90 (bigger, heavier than D40) and replaced my OEM Nikon strap with an Op Tech strap.  There are many neoprene straps, and some less expensive than the "fashion strap" that I bought (because it converts to a hand strap).

With the bigger, heavier 18-105 lens, I can carry my D90 most of the day without problems.  This kit is nearly 2 1/2 pounds (1100g), at least a full pound heavier than your D40+18-55.  A strap is a $20 solution that keeps all your lenses.

Of course, if you've already tried that, or if size and bulk are the sticking point, others have given suggestions.  Good luck, and enjoy your vacation!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow