Canon S100 - a worthy upgrade from Nikon P300?

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,259Gear list
Like?
Canon S100 - a worthy upgrade from Nikon P300?
Dec 4, 2012

I purchased a Nikon P300 just 10 months ago. I wanted a compact with manual controls, and the P300 and S100 seemed like my best bets. The only reason I went with it over the S100 because of cost- the S100 was $350 at the time, and the P310 $230.

I've been pretty happy with it, but haven't stopped thinking about the S100. Especially now that I've been having some problems with the P300 lately- a spot of sensor dust (I assume), random shut-offs, and random times at power-on where the lens extends but the rest of the camera powers on.

Between those problems and the fact that the S100 has dropped to $249 I've started pondering it again.

I'm the most amateur of photographers. I take a lot of indoor and out pictures of my family as well as a lot of general outdoor pictures while camping, hiking, sunsets, etc.

One of the things I'd like to try is some night sky stuff, using the extended exposures allowed by CHDK.

I'm guessing it's probably not worth it, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask before writing it off.

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot S200 Canon PowerShot SD1000 Nikon Coolpix P300 Sony RX100 NEX5R
ANSWER:
Nikon Coolpix P300 Nikon Coolpix P310
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow