Olbers' paradox: why is the night sky dark?

Started Nov 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
trisd
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
Re: Olbers' paradox: why is the night sky dark?
In reply to Jonny Boyd, Dec 4, 2012

Jonny Boyd wrote:

As a physicist, I understand far better than you do and have tried to explain things for your benefit. I've done it lots of different ways.

You can call yourself whatever you like, as lots of people on the internet do, but that apparently does not help you to grasp what is brightness and differentiate it from total amount of light, flux or luminance that you keep confusing it with.

Well, if you do understand then you should know what NASA meant when they say:

- "...if you look at a shell twice as far, each star is only a quarter as bright, but there are four times as many stars, so each shell is equally bright."

That same "brightness" is what I am asking you about. So, again:

- Do you see two equally bright star-shells on these two images bellow? YES/NO

As i've said on numerous occasions, YES.

First time you addressed it directly, thank you. I find it very interesting you would rather blindly believe in some dogma than your own eyes, it's cute. But of course that is WRONG as dots on the left image are WHITE and on the right they are DARK GRAY.

Shell on the left image above is four times brighter than the one on the right just like squares on images A and C are four times brighter than the squares on images B and D below.

Size or quantity is no substitute for brightness. If something is bigger or there is more of it, that only changes TOTAL amount of light emitted, or reflected, but it does not change its brightness just like it does not change its color.

'If you're asking about the total brightness of the two images, then yes, they are the same. If you're asking about the average brightness of a unit area, then yes they are the same because the total amount of light and the area are bith the same. If you're asking if the distribution of light is the same, then no, obviously not. But if you add all the shells together then you end up with a unifrom distribution. Olber's paradox says nothing about whether the individual shells have uniform distribution of light.'

NASA: - "...if you look at a shell twice as far, each star is only a quarter as bright, but there are four times as many stars, so each shell is equally bright."

I guess your logic circuit and language translation unit are malfunctioning if you still can not grasp what "brightness" is Olbers' paradox talking about. Try to read the above sentence quoted from NASA more carefully and perhaps you will realize it is very clear it is about brightness of EACH SHELL. There is no any adding of shells or their combinations, but they are simply talking about the brightness of each shell individually by itself.

Why do you keep asking a question I have answered for you many, many, many times, while simultaneously ignore everything I say? My patience is finally wearing out and unless you actually interact with what is being said rather th...

You finally answered the question, defeated the logic and refused to trust your own eyes in favor of nonsense set by supposed authority based on false mathematics and misinterpretation of the concept of "brightness". My work here is done, I will now leave to gentle reader of this thread to be the judge and make their own conclusions. Good bye.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow