Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Al Evans
Regular MemberPosts: 263Gear list
Like?
Portrait Shoot with NEX C3
Dec 3, 2012

Here are a few images from a session last week with my 16-year-old grandson.

As many of you know, a regular photo slave won't work with the NEX C3, which puts out a pre-flash to check the exposure that will be required for the "real" flash. The pre-flash is quite enough to set off a normal photo slave, causing your studio strobes to pop while the shutter is still closed.

I really wanted to be able to use my old Novatron equipment, which still puts out light as well as it ever did. I finally solved this problem recently when I found a Wein WP-SSLD "digital smart slave" on eBay.

This Wein slave has four DIP switches on the front. If you turn the second one on, the slave responds to the SECOND flash from the camera, and the strobes fire while the shutter is open. This gives far better results! 

I made a little snoot for the on-camera flash from a piece of black foil and some gaffer's tape, so that I could direct the on-camera flash away from the subject entirely and use it ONLY to fire the slave.

Lighting in this session was very lazy, a single head set to cover a 4' X 4' white reflector, bouncing onto the subject from 6-10 feet. Basically, I just wanted to emulate some nice window light. I did the shoot in my living room.

I've done some mild Photoshop work on these images, removing stray hairs and fixing normal teenage facial blemishes.

-- hide signature --

Al Evans

Al Evans's gear list:Al Evans's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow