Cropping with the DP2 Merrill - who needs a zoom lens?

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
E_Nielsen
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
Cropping with the DP2 Merrill - who needs a zoom lens?
Dec 3, 2012

I uploaded a couple of sample photos here: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9258458912/photos, but found out later that the option to view them in their original size has been disabled. It seems that DPReview has a file size limit in the user galleries to prevent people from downloading large files. That is unfortunate, because you really can't tell how good this camera is unless you view the photos at 100% resolution.

I have now added cropped versions of the two photos I originally uploaded. Please check them out if you have a minute. The cropped photos show how the amazing resolution seems to mitigate the issue of not having a zoom lens. The human eye just doesn't see everything that the DP2m captures until the photo is viewed later at full resolution. (Note that due to time constraints, I cropped a JPG rather than the original RAW photo, which yielded a little less than optimal results. I'll try to remedy that later...)

It took me a few days after getting the camera before I realized the impact on composing photos. With a zoom lens, you typically zoom to the point of getting a decent composition. With the DP2m, you just leave a little extra room around the edges and zoom later on your computer. If you think of it that way, the outcome is very similar to using a 45mm to perhaps a 135mm (I'm guessing here) zoom lens.

E_Nielsen's gear list:E_Nielsen's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Sigma DP2 Merrill
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow