High Pixel count P&Ss

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Nightwings
Forum ProPosts: 10,385
Like?
This is why - Nikon does it right....
In reply to JulesJ, Dec 3, 2012

JulesJ wrote:

can someone explain to me what the point is of having a p&s with say, an ability to capture a 16M file.

Many better DSLRs files are smaller but we know the image quality is much better. What is the point of turning out Small cameras with huge files that are not very good. My brother is after a p&s to copy and reproduce his art works, he doesn't need to print any bigger than 10 x 8. He asked me what to buy and I have no idea and even though a pro, am baffled by the different specs of the p&s market.

Why do these small cameras have big pixel counts if the quality is still not very good and not matching a DSLR?

Jules

I own a Nkon D7000 16mpx sensor. I also own a P510.. 16mpx sensor.

Here are direct comparison shots between the D7000 and P510. And yes, I know the D7000 kills the P510 in handling and low light ... but with adequate illumination, you can see how well Nikon implements a 16mpx pinhead sensor behind some decent glass. The results speak for themselves. There is very little difference in IQ and resolving power. In the Chimney and moon shots.... the D7000 side was cropped to match the FL of the P510's 1000mm equiv. All other shots are direct and uncropped. For the P510 to have used anything less than a 16mpx sensor, would not have given the same degree of resolving power.

You be the judge.

-- hide signature --

Nikon AF - One Shot ..... One Kill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow