Any tips for shooting an event?

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Spooner
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?
Re: Any tips for shooting an event?
In reply to gammada, Dec 3, 2012

I agree with pretty much everything that's been posted so far. I've had to shoot some high-end receptions like this, including one for Yo-Yo Ma, and it isn't my usual thing either.

Your 50mm is your best bet from what you have - I like my 17-55 f/2.8. If you can borrow one I recommend trying it.

Since you have two strobes and  RF, I'd put one on a stand and bounce it up for ambient fill, but definitely keep one on-camera with or without a bounce card. Your RF remote strobe won't do a lot, but it will be better than having it sit in your bag.

Again, shoot RAW, keep your ISO high and SS low (enough) and iris open to get the ambient lighting. I tend to not gel my strobes for CC - I like the orange colour cast that incandescents gve. If you're dealing with fluorescents, gel them out and WB for FL. If lighting is mixed pick the most annoying one and gel for it.

If you get a wide enough lens, but not too wide to distort too much, it can be fun to drag the shutter to blur the BG and keep the subject sharp with the short duration of the strobe.

Talk to whomever hired you and find out who it is improtant for you to shoot. Ask your subjects for a 'posed' shot every now and then. People tend to cluster in circles, which is hard to get a decent shot of. Two people together can be good, though. Get up high if you can every now and then - chairs, walkways, whatever.

Above all, get there early and test your settings and set-up using serving staff or other functionaries who may be around as test subjects. If the tests look good offer to send the shot to them. It never hurts to have friends in these places.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow