ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mac
Mac
Contributing MemberPosts: 826
Like?
V1 - On the fence
Dec 3, 2012

With the huge discounts on the V1, I am considering picking one up but have not pulled the trigger.  It seems like it is an impressive piece of engineering that would be a fun to use but I keep scratching my head over where does this fit?  Ideal use? Etc.  I moved to the Nikon system about 4 years ago and now have a D300, D700 and recently picked up a D5100, thinking it could serve as a small lightweight travel DSLR.  Saying that, even the D5100 with lens attached (16-85/VR) is quite a package.

Here are some of the conundrums as I see them:

Size - Definitely smaller than a DSLR but bulky compared to a compact P&S.  Both the Canon S100 and Sony RX100 can go head-to-head (or better) up to ISO 800 and still fit in your shirt pocket.  Even with the pancake lens, a large jacket would be needed.

Where's the flash - I think this is a serious omission.  It would seem to me the whole point of this form factor is having a compact all-in-one, grab-it-and-go camera.  Even a weak  flash would be better than none.  Whenever you have to start carrying a separate flash (not to mention the extra $$), the Canon and Sony look even better or time to pull out the D5100.

Compatibility with my existing Nikon gear?  For lens, an expensive adaptor is needed...but then again, if the driver is portability and size, this starts becoming a strange Frankensteinian concoction.  Flash - no way to use either my SB-600 or SB-800, though they would look rather strange sitting on a V1, dwarfing it.

Image quality - Looks OK but "only" 10MP.  As mentioned earlier, both Canon and Sony can deliver as good or better until you start hitting higher ISO's.  But, if I know that high ISO performance is important, don't know this is the camera I would bring to the party.

Again, I am interested in the V1 but cannot find anything compelling about it except the price.

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D300 Nikon D5100 Nikon D700 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow