What would you buy? D600 or K5II/s

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
AugieViking
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
Re: What would you buy? D600 or K5II/s
In reply to HPS3, Dec 3, 2012

I have a K5, which I am keeping and just bought a D600.

A few comments. The weight difference is small in actual use and  the K5 is still nicer in the hand. The menus of the D600 take some adjustment and I miss the AF button on the back on the K5.  I have set the DOF preview button as the AF button and the FN button as the level control.

The reason I bought D600 was the clarity of the images, better AF and much superior flash. So far it has not disappointed and side by side images clearly give the edge to the D600. The AF on moving objects is clearly superior.  I have the 24-85 and 70-300 zooms. Also, I was concerned that if Pentax did bring out a FF, the current lens selection was very poor so one would be waiting for new lens introductions.

I am keeping the K5  for now to use with my Sigma 150-500 mm  and 105 mm macro. Over time, I may sell the Pentax kit and migrate totally to the D600. A hybrid of these two cameras taking the best on both would be one powerful camera.

The D600 sensor is experiencing oil issues on the sensor. Mine was cleaned by the dealer and it is fine now. Ironically, it is a replay of what happened when the K5 first came out. It is interesting to seen the same kind of response on the Nikon forums as happened with the Pentax oil on sensor issue.

Overall, I am happy with my move. The test will be on our next vacation in the west. Do I take both cameras? Do I have my wife move up from a P&S? Nice problem to worry about.

AugieViking's gear list:AugieViking's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow