Is it still worthwhile buying an X10 now?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
Re: No, it isn't good to buy an X10 right now.
In reply to Eddaweaver, Dec 3, 2012

Eddaweaver wrote:

The RX100 will have really cut into sales. They would have to either accept a lower price point or put out a new version with a larger sensor to compete.

The difficulty for Fuji is as they develop their own sensors they like to share their sensors across multiple models to cut costs. Putting a 1" sensor into a bridge camera is not very likely so it is possible the XF1 was to maintain a second model for 2/3" sensors.

I hope they have the insight to shift future 2/3" or 1" sensors to the 3:2 aspect ratio or do both 4:3 and 3:2 natively in the same sensor like Panasonic tried once or twice. An X20 with 1" 3:2 and 4:3 dual native non-AA filter sensor with optical viewfinder would have a wide advantage over the RX100.

Other than losing the AA filter, I'd like to see Fuji use a sensor like that. Unfortunately (as I've mentioned in a couple of other threads) the Fuji rep. that I spoke with said that the X10's replacement would have the same size sensor, even though he also thought that a 1" sensor would have been preferable. Maybe the X30 . . .

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow