Birds in Panama & Costa Rica, & the Canal (55-210 & DH1758)

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,186Gear list
Like?
Birds in Panama & Costa Rica, & the Canal (55-210 & DH1758)
Dec 3, 2012

Continuing my cruise photos from early November, and specifically with the NEX-5N and 55-210mm lens, I left off with the stage show on the ship and visits to the Bahamas and Haiti. I took some shots out at sea off Aruba, then the next stop was the Panama Canal, and despite overcast grey weather typical of the rainforest zone, I still got to enjoy a nice selection of birds, as well as the always fascinating scenery of the Panama Canal in operation.  Then, a final stop in Costa Rica - with wonderful wildlife diversity.  Note: All bird and wildlife shots involved the DH1758 1.7x teleextender attached to the 55-210mm lens - all scenery shots and others were with the lens alone.

Here, a brown booby flies over the boat off Aruba

What the boobies are after...here, he swoops down after a flying fish

A large flying fish jumping out of the water

The Gatun Locks, at the north end of the Panama Canal, stepping down about 85 feet from Gatun Lake to the Atlantic side

The 'new dig' area, where longer, wider locks are being built to handle larger ships

A look at one of the closed lock doors, holding back the Gatun Lake as the lock chamber water level lowers

Ships fit in the locks by inches, and the electric trains are meant to guide it through with the same clearance on either side...but it doesn't always work out! 100,000 tons of ship meets lock wall.

Now in Costa Rica, where there are lots of birds! This is a clay-colored thrush

A social flycatcher sitting on a wall in Costa Rica

Bird on a wire...in this case, a tropical kingbird

A lovely little yellow warbler

A gentle giant - the three-toed sloth looking content in a tree

A grey-capped flycatcher

Another sloth climbing slowly through the treetops

How would you like a home on your own small Costa Rican island? This is Uvita Island, all of 480 meters long

Ship anchored in the steamy bay beside the rainforest, while towering volcanic mountains reach into the clouds - that's Costa Rica!

Hope you enjoyed more of my trip. That wraps the 55-210mm lens shots...and I've only got a few left taken with my Hexanon 40mm, which I'll post next.

Comments, questions, critique welcome as always, and thanks for looking!

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow