How far to push the ISO on the D800

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Doublehelix
Contributing MemberPosts: 755Gear list
Like?
Re: The higher the ISO the more critical is the exposure
In reply to olyflyer, Dec 3, 2012

We are going to have to agree to disagree then.

When someone asks about the performance of a camera, they are asking about the performance of a camera, not someone else's ability to process the files in PP.

I do get what you are saying about badly exposed examples are not great data points. Agreed.

If you re-read my posts, you would see that:

1) I *DID* shoot in RAW.

2) There was nowhere else to go for exposure. The aperture was maxed. The ISO was maxed for my purposes (I did not want to go higher than ISO3200, but maybe I should have). The only other option was shutter speed.

3) I did try slowing down the shutter speed to 1/640 and even 1/500 as the only other variable, but the blur was unacceptable on a lot of the action shots, and even then, the shots were underexposed.

How would you have gotten a better exposure and still froze the action? These results are pretty common for pre-processed images for volleyball, even from the "pros". Flash is not allowed at high school sporting events in Indiana btw (ISHA rules).

Someone else posted in this thread that you should underexpose with the D800 and then raise the exposure in PP, which is what I was able to do, and did show in a later post with PP.

-- hide signature --

James

Doublehelix's gear list:Doublehelix's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow