Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
evalf
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
D600 sensor dust timelapse after 7000 actuations
Dec 3, 2012

I've read the reports on this forum as well as Nikon Rumours that the dust issue on the D600 subsides after a while, and that the problem should be gone after 3000 shutter actuations. I was surprised when I read that: I had my D600 cleaned by Nikon recently, and the spots started reappearing quickly even though my camera has seen over 7000 shutter actuations.

I decided to study things more closely: I put my camera on a tripod a few centimeters away from my computer screen displaying a bright white page. I used the kit 24-85 lens, zoomed at 85mm and at f/29, and focused to infinity. I took 500 shots at 1 second interval, and made a timelapse out of it, which you can watch on youtube: http://youtu.be/krfvLZItjls. For some reason the versions other than 1080p show some weird encoding artifacts that make the spots move around the frame, so please watch the video at 1080p.

Here are the first and last shots of the series if you want to have a closer look:

First shot

Last shot

The sensor was not completely clean to begin with: it had done less than 200 shots since the Nikon cleaning, I used the built in sensor cleaning feature as well as gave it a good blow with the mirror up, so the spots that are present at the beginning are not the easy to remove kind.

I did increase the contrats to make the spots easier to see, however they are visible without any post processing, and I've seen similar spots appear in the sky portion of my pictures at f-stops as low as f/5.6.

In conclusion, while some lucky owners may see the problem disappear after 3000 shots it seems it is not the case for everyone. The problem will not go away on its own and Nikon will have to come up with a fix to the camera, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow