Started Nov 23, 2012 | Discussions thread
RossAndrew
Senior MemberPosts: 3,213
Like?
Re: What happened?
In reply to Wyville, Dec 3, 2012

Wyville wrote:

RossAndrew wrote:

Usually in a case like this there is such a thing called a sporting declaration made to give the your opponents a chance. That's where the saying it's just not cricket is it comes from.

Andy

You mean SA should have declared earlier?

I think in theory Australia could still take it, when taking into consideration the second match run from Clarke and (if I remember correctly) a declaration around the 500+ mark that innings. With two days of play in this match, it's not at all unreasonable for SA to finish their innings. At least, that's what it looks like to me.

Congrats South Africa well deserved win.

I can't find the history of the game, but there is a lot of difference Clark declared to late. SA were never going for the win. They couldn't afford to loose they had to draw or win the series to keep No1 world ranking. They went for the draw.

There was never a chance of a draw for Australia. It had to be all put on the line, with rain front coming in early tomorrow a draw would keep things as they are SA No1 spot. It was a win or nothing, A win would have given australia the series and top spot. I don't think they would have lasted two days anyway. The WACA pitch holds up very well there is usually a result at this grown.

I thought the expression "it's just not cricket" came from a player who was out, not leaving the field. Or is it used for any unsportsmanlike behaviour?

The sporting declaration is may be not so common in tests these days, was in our shield games in Australia a few years ago, "It's just not cricket" is for any thing unsportsmanlike in the game as I understand it.

I watched you young guys playing in the Champions Trophy yesterday grate match. Also surprised how well Belgium did in there first time out in this comp.

Andy

-- hide signature --

You don't need a long neck to be a goose, do ya?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
FafNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow