Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kiril Karaatanasov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,861Gear list
Like?
Is NEX-7 at all comparable to NEX-6?
Dec 3, 2012

I thought about this quite a while. For casual shooting they may be comparable and very close.

The thing though is NEX-7 is just a high class camera and NEX-6 is a toy.

The IQ of the two cameras is just not comparable. 24MP with astonishing sharpness which NEX-7 produces is just outclassing most full frame cameras on the Market including D600, 5D mk3 and Sony's own flagship A99. Dynamic range and resolution at low iso are above and beyond what today's full frame technology squeezes out of much larger sensors. I did compare myself plenty of shots with D600 and A99 against NEX-7 and NEX-7 does produce more sharpness, more dynamic range and better colors.

I know comparing to 16mp a shot of one's daughter at school celebration leaves not much to talk about. If the celebration is not well lit NEX-6 will produce more acceptable result - not fantastic just more acceptable snapshot.

However if you use well lit scene - NEX-7 is just another dimension of image quality. All other compacts just fare tons worse.

Go ahead and compare for yourself the studio shots DPR have published if you do not have chance to shoot these cameras.

It is quite easily understandable why Hasselblad re-badged the NEX-7. this is the only APS-C camera that really deserves to be in their league. The only mirroless that is that high in IQ bar Leica.

I think this is something many people do not appreciate or even realize. It is a bit unfortunate that Sony has not been able to send this message out well enough to pro photographers. NEX-7 is not a toy like Fuji X-Pro1 and NEX-6. It is a high grade camera capable of stunning IQ. Better color, better dynamic range, better resolution. A compact alternative to today's full frame bunch with IQ they can only hope to match.

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D600 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow