Beginners Camera?

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Questions thread
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,445Gear list
Like?
Re: Beginners Camera?
In reply to senterk, Dec 3, 2012

A little more information would allow for better answers.  But this is the season when a lot of people are asking this question, so a few comments might be welcome by anyone reading a post with a title llike "beginners camera."   I would guess your 16 year old daughter really is just starting to take pictures with something very basic, like maybe a her cell phone.

A camera that allows for trying out a lot of different things would be good.  Pets, landscapes, trees, sunsets, some clouds, flower closeups, birds across the yard, sculptures, buildings, cars, friends.  Let her explore and find her interests.  A good camera for that would be a "bridge camera" like a Canon SX40 or SX50.  Or a Panasonic FZ150 or FZ200. Also a Nikon P510, but the video is not quite as good on the other choices.

Maybe I am suggesting cameras that are a little more expensive than you have in mind.  In that case every manufacturer has models a little less capable for a little less money.

I live next to a university and I frequently go jogging across it.  I have observed many young men and women taking photographs.  The women almost always have a large camera like the Canon SX40 or or Nikon P510, or a basic DSLR with kit lens.   The men almost never have a large camera.  They usually have a "travel zoom" like a Canon SX260 or Sony HX10V.  My theory is the women feel like the bigger camera is a "real camera" and they don't mind the size because they are used to carrying purses.  But the men don't like carrying a bag and they want something that will fit in a pocket.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow