HS30 EXR - RAW, Settings and Some Pix ...

Started Nov 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,685Gear list
Like?
Re: Ralph ...
In reply to Lloydy, Dec 3, 2012

Lloydy wrote:

... I won't disagree with you. For me it is early days and I need time to experiment some more. Hope to do that soon.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Cheers Dave. I'm not advocating not shooting RAW if you want to, but once you strike a setup with the camera that suits you, you may well find the Jpeg is good to excellent for 95% of your imaging. The thing I most like about the EXR and Kim touched on it is there are levels of comfort to be had with this camera. For example Kim gets very good results ( and you may as well ) from shooting RAW, and if you are 100% used to post processing this way it may work to your advantage.

What I've found is that if the image is well exposed and focussed, there isn't a great deal more to be had from the RAW as compared to the Jpeg. The Jpeg in these cameras in particular have a really large amount of headroom in them. Knowing this allows you to take shots in bright light, for example my bees, at +1.67 Ev and get a good image even though I knew I was overexposing. However this was necessary to get the higher shutter speeds at a lower ISO, and most importantly the object of the exercise was to get a bee in flight and stop or nearly stop the wing motion, which ain't easy with these cameras.

At the end of the day you will ( like most of us) wind up with two or three sets of settings for differing conditions, all of which I have programmed into the camera.

Images and exif here

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow