Xe1 Zoom@35mm/iso3200/ois 1/25 wide open Snapshot example

Started Dec 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,365Gear list
Like?
Re: Xe1 Zoom@35mm/iso3200/ois 1/25 wide open Snapshot example
In reply to dbbarron, Dec 3, 2012

Nice shot. If you want more subject isolation then use the longest focal lenght available, in this case. Zoom out to 55mm then stepback to frame the shot. Longer focal lenght at the same aperture means smaller FOV, just like bigger aperture means smaller FOV. Try are few frame filling head shots wide open at a several different focal lengths to a sense of the background blur. On my nikon 70-200 f/2.8 I often zoom out to 200mm and distance myself accordingly, that gives me incredible blur compared to 70mm. 55mm f/4 for head shots is pretty good, but. The 55mm f/1.4 prime will creme it, pun intended.

All that aside the picture above has just enough to isolate the subject and also offer context. It is obvious your in a restaurant while a 55mm prime wide open might not make that distinction with head shot.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow