Do RAWs have default settings in the file and how can I use them in ACR?

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marijnvdzaag
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Do RAWs have default settings in the file and how can I use them in ACR?
Dec 3, 2012

Asking this question in one sentence is pretty hard, which is why the topic name may be confusing. I'll elaborate:
I usually take raw and jpg at the same time, and when I view them in Fastone Image Viewer they both look exactly the same. Now when I open the raw in Adobe Camera Raw, I am unable to reproduce the camera-made jpg. If I reset to default settings it still produces an image very different from the jgp. Is there a way to use the same settings in ACR that were used by the camera to develop the jpg? This would help me a lot, since it'd give me a starting point on what to tweak. Right now it happens pretty often that I make an image out of the raw and then I realize that the original jpg looks better when I compare :/

It would make sense that ACR doesn't know exactly how the camera made a jpg out of the sensor information, but then again how could my image viewer do exactly this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anything about my goal is not clear, please ask.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow