ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Londongal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,854
Like?
Early thoughts on Nikon 70-200 f4
Dec 2, 2012

Hi All,

I picked up the 70-200mm f4 lens last night and spent a bit of time with it this morning.  My preliminary thought is that I like it.  I own the 70-200mm f2.8 VRI and so comparisons are between those two lenses.

The first thing I noticed as I mounted the lens is that the white "dot" on the 70-200mm f4, which you use to align the lens to the camera is quite large in size and raised; much like the white alignment dot on the D800's body.  I like this change, as it made aligning the lens to the camera extremely easy and fast: No searching for a small white dot.

The weight of this lens is good, lighter than my f2.8 and this is one of the reasons I purchased it.  I'll be able to easily hand hold the weight of D800 + f4 lens for long periods of time more readily than I can hand hold the weight of D800 + f2.8 lens.  For those who may dismiss the "small" weight difference between the two lenses and hand holding...may I just say that we do get older as time goes by and not everyone is young, strong and steady  With that caveat in mind, I will probably not purchase a lens collar for this lens and strictly use it hand held.  If I had planned to use this lens on a tripod, I would definitely purchase a lens collar for it.  I own a RRS lens collar for my 70-200mm f2.8 VRI and will use that lens when I plan to use a tripod.

The focus on the f4 is quick and smooth; different from the "fast, snappy" focusing of my f2.8. The lenses feel different and behave differently.  Both are to my liking.

From the shots I took this morning, the results of the f4 look good.  It's a nice lens to hold; the focus and zoom rings are smooth and have the right amount of resistance.

I had initially considered selling my 70-200mm f2.8 VRI to finance the purchase of a 70-200mm f2.8 VRII, but decided against that for many reasons, most specifically because my copy of the 70-200mm f2.8 VRI is what I consider spectacular.  Because of this, I'll keep both lenses. What it comes down to - for me - is two different 70-200mm lenses, two different uses.  The F4 will be my handheld lens and the f2.8 will be the one for tripod use. I've been taking photos for a long time and will appreciate the luxury of owning both of these lenses.

Will post more as I use the lens more.

Regards,

Londongal

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow