Started Dec 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
adamlambert
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?
Arctic photography tips
Dec 2, 2012

After some years promising that we would, this year is the year we go to Lapland in search of Santa! I know this might not sound so exciting as a photo opportunity but I am very excited. The Northern Lights are visible approximately 200 nights per year in the area of Finnish Lapland that we are going to and I am hopefully to be able to try and get some astro photography long exposures in too. Like I said, very excited...

Why the post, you may wonder?

I have a few questions. I plan to take my D800 and 14-24 and 24-70 Nikon lenses, tripod and Astrotrac. As the temperatures will be pretty much Arctic (-25 C) I am wondering how I can be best prepared. Not even sure the Astrotrac will work that cold?

• My guess is battery life will suffer.
  • Have you any experience of shooting in extreme cold? Any tips for shooting the Aurora Borealis? Would you bother with the astrotrac? Setting it up precisely at -25C sounds like a painful exercise.
  • Am I taking the best lens combination? Don't want to be carrying everything - i think two lens maximum.
  • All tips, thoughts, experiences or suggested photo projects welcome. 

Going in a week for four nights - hopefully it will be amazing. Think I am more excited than my 7 year old daughter and wife!

Adam

ps for any interested we are going to Luosto.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow